Thursday, August 16, 2012

An Introduction & A Testimony

THURSDAY 8-16-2012   

 Hello Blog-osphere! Let me first say that I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to blogging. I realize that a majority of people who blog tend to make it all about themselves, but I pray that will not be the tendency of this blogger. Let it be known that my intentions for this blog are 3 fold: 

1. To glorify Christ.
2. To edify others.
3. To have fun. (Because Christians can do that!)

So, with that being said, allow me to introduce myself via life testimony.

I was born at a very young age... ahem... 
Let me start over! My name is Corey Estep. I love the LORD, I love my wife, and I just plain love life! My parents started attending church when I was 2 years old, so that is pretty much all I have ever known. And I am so thankful for that. I grew up learning foundation truths from God's Word by men and women of God living out what they preached and taught. I learned how to love God and I learned that He loved me. In fact, He loved me so much that He sent His only Son to die for me. I made a profession of faith when I was 7, but I didn't really grasp the whole concept of a relationship with someone that I couldn't see. I pretty much grabbed at the "fire escape" for fear of Hell. 
Cozaddale Baptist Temple. Goshen, OH
     I doubted and doubted and finally knew that I wasn't saved, but my pride strapped me down and the straps grew tighter as I made the transfer from public school to Christian school when I was 12. I loved Christian school and learned so much more there. From Bro. Rick's Bible classes to Bro. Travis' World History, I grew in maturity. 
     When my parents made the decision to move us from public school to Christian school, they also decided to move to another church: Cozaddale Baptist Temple. I thank God for my parents and God leading them. I got involved in the Cozaddale Baptist Temple Teen Group led by God through Bro. Travis Burke and Bro. Matt Martin. I had never been a part of anything like this. I absolutely fell in love with the place. I was very much a part of the teen class. I became the class president of the Jr. High Department. 
     Now let me explain what was going on in my heart during this time. The entire time at CBT, I knew I was lost. But, because the youth group was so tightly knit and the right thing to do was also the popular thing to do, I sloughed off the conviction because I cared about being popular. Now, don't get me wrong; having a youth group like this is definitely a great thing, but I allowed becoming class president to tighten me down with pride. "I can't go forward! I am the class president!" I pushed the Holy Spirit away countless times because I was too good to be lost. I was a good kid. I watched some go through the Christian school and teen church classes and totally rebel. I heard them talk about things that made me blush and things that I had never even heard of, so it couldn't make me blush!
     Fast forward 2 years. I am now 14 years old. Its New Years Eve, and we are having an awesome teen activity. We went to a college basketball game, laser tag, bowling, and then we all wen to Moraine Heights Baptist Church's gymnasium. Did I mention that it was an all-night activity? EPIC activity! About an hour into the new year (2004), we all settled into a large classroom where Bro. Travis preached. I don't remember exactly what he preached on, but I remember the whole time knowing that I was not saved. So I went forward. That night I accepted Christ as my Saviour and to this day, I know that i am saved!
     Fast forward 6 months. It's June. Teen Camp is coming up soon. My dad calls all of us kids into the living room of our brand new home. He told us that we would be moving to Kansas. 
Kansas?!
I pushed the whole talk aside and went on with the next few weeks not believing my dad. Literally, I didn't believe him. But a week before teen camp, they told us that they were going to Kansas to look at the ministry while we were at camp. 
Okay, they must be serious...
I shut down. I didn't want this to happen. Not to me! NOT NOW! I am a Junior in High-School! I will not go to Kansas where there are yellow-brick roads, tornadoes, and feed lots! I shut down. My heart wasn't right. I hated my dad, and I hated what God was doing to ME. Me, me me! Every thought in my stupid head over the next few months started with "I, me, my..." 
     I went to teen camp, but I didn't take God with me. I took a bad attitude and a bad friend. All I did that week was look for girls. I stuck close to that friend, and decided to ignore the good, real friends that I did have. I didn't hear from God that week because I didn't let Him speak to me. I didn't care. 
    The date was set for the move and I was headed on my last youth activity. It was November, and we all went to Fairhaven Baptist Church in Indiana for Empowered Youth. That week, I was going to talk to girls, and that's it. But, I had some people praying for me. Bro. Travis pulled me aside on Tuesday night and asked me how I was doing. You know those kinds of talks. I had been upset with a friend of mine earlier that day and I didn't feel like getting interrogated. But he persisted. I broke down. I told him that I didn't want to go. I don;t remember exactly what the entire conversation consisted of, but I do remember him asking me one question: "Have you surrendered?"
     The congregationals started and we cut the conversation short. I was spacing off until I heard the preacher for that night say the title of the message. "Surrender." 
     I knew what needed to be done. I couldn't wait until the invitation! I knew God was ready to use me, but He just needed a willing vessel! I don't remember anything else that was said during that message apart from the title. He could have got up there and said "Surrender," and I would have gone forward! 
     I grabbed Bro. Travis and went forward. I knelt down and apologized to God for my attitude and surrendered to whatever He would have me do, and follow my parents for as long as I was under their roof. 
I won't say that the move was easy. In fact, it was probably the hardest thing I've ever been through emotionally. But, through it all, I had a peace. 
     To make the rest of the story short: I wound up meeting my wife in Kansas. I also found out about Heartland Baptist Bible College. HBBC, has been my growing place. I have feasted on a plethora of wisdom from men of God who have "been there and done that!" And now my wife and I are ready to move to Sioux Falls, SD where I will be the associate Pastor and Youth Pastor full-time. Wow, what a blessing!
     While I do not feel worthy or fully capable to be in full-time ministry, I do feel strengthened by the sacrifice of many others to equip me for the Great Commission. I pray that I may be able to strengthen some teenager to boldly, but humbly, go into battle for the glory of Christ!

-A Youth Pastor









1 comment:

  1. Awesome. When you get busy, don't forget to keep everyone posted. And pictures!

    ReplyDelete